Where quality counts for a lifetime!

Please visit our new website at EFWinspire.com !

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Making tops for the window seat

Time to make the tops for the window seat area!  I'm dividing the top into three separate lids that will open upward. Since the unit is going to be painted I am making them out of the cabinet grade plywood I used to make the casework. I'll then put a pine bull nose on each lid to finish it off.  Here are the pictures after I finished.





I used a heavy duty soft closing hinge, but in this application, the lids are too heavy for the soft close piston of the hinge to work effectively.
In the picture below, you can see that I did a separate piece above the duct work extension and added a finger hole for easy removal.  Just in case the duct needs to be accessed in the future.  The inside has some very simple and basic support members.



No comments: