Where quality counts for a lifetime!

When I am not doing custom pieces I am usually working for other contractors, installing cabinets and trim. I post my custom work here.
I am currently booked until June, 2014.

I am not picking up any new projects at this time.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Bay window improvements - Sylvania, OH

Here's a before and after picture set of a neat little project I finished up today.  The customer needed a place for all of her plants, and this bay window area is a perfect spot!

Before

 and after...

 This new space measures almost 12' wide, and is 18" deep - now it's a great plant space, and makes this bay window area totally useful!





Sunday, April 06, 2014

725 Culley, Holland

Here are the before and after pictures of our first flip!  The property is located at 725 Culley, Holland, OH 43528.  As of this post, I am putting the final touches on the outside.  Most of everything is new, including the roof, furnace, and hot water heater.  The house sits on 1/2 acre lot, with woods in the back.  From closing to open house took 99 days, and was accomplished during one of the worst winters on record. Here's just some of what we've done...


The original living room...

We've opened up the wall between the living room and dining room, and done a total makeover including tall white trim and thick 12mm laminate floors.  Yes, it's the same space!



Living room - opposite view...



This was a makeshift bedroom, located off the dining room...


And yes, this was the kitchen - it was only 5' wide!

We took the makeshift bedroom and turned it into the kitchen!  This required running new plumbing and electrical.  Appliances are used, but only about a year old - they stay with the house!  The old kitchen was converted into a laundry room with the necessary connections!  There is a nice sized pantry closet in the new kitchen, and the flooring flows into this area as well.




The old bathroom...


The new bath features new shower surround, new toilet, new vanity and mirror, and new vinyl resilient flooring, as well as a new linen closet!



 This was a back add-on area, and the house was missing the furnace and water heater...


It's now converted to a extra large hallway that leads to the master bedroom, and a closed off utility area.


The old front bedroom...


Completely refurbished.



 There was no master bedroom, so we made one out of the attached garage!  The area was stripped to the studs, insulated, and added heat and electrical.  This is an oversized master bedroom that measures 14' x 22'. plus closet space!

Extra wide His & Hers closets!


 725 Culley has been listed by Danberry for $77,500.  The first Open House will be Sunday, April 13, 2014 from 2pm - 4pm.  All showings and offers should be directed to Skip Heckman at Danberry.  Skip can be reached at 419-265-9535.

We sincerely hope you've enjoyed what we've done with this property!


Thursday, December 26, 2013

Drum display mount

I was recently contacted by a company that specializes in awards, displays, etc., to make a display mount for a snare drum.  The award will be presented to the Honda Corporation at the National Battle of the Bands (I believe I have that right).  Anyway, a neat little project being presented to a major car company!
After laminating several pieces of oak together, I cut the shape on the band saw, sanded for several hours, and am working on the finishing.  Hope they like it!








Friday, December 13, 2013

Laminate flooring

Here are some pictures of a laminate flooring job we did this week.  Laminate floors can be a cost effective way to cover your floors, often less costly than carpet...





Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A nice little mantle project

The past several weeks have been filled with larger projects, namely a vinyl siding job and a deck project.  Now it's time to get back to the projects I really like, and update the blog!

One of the things on the list is a mantle for over a fireplace.  The mantle needs to be roughly 60" long, and the customer wants to incorporate crown molding with dentil molding as well.  Typically, this is sold as a two piece combination, with the crown installed first, and the dentil applied to the crown second.

I've built the box for the mantle out of poplar - pretty simple stuff, and now on to the good stuff...

What I really want is 3/4" overhang of the top, past the crown.  To get that, I've marked the location at one end with a sample piece of crown, and then marked the other end for the overall length...



Once I've got the top cut, I can work in the crown molding (obviously the photos show I'm working on the piece upside down on the workbench)...


Typically, I hide a business card somewhere on my projects, in this case I stuck one behind the crown.  Ok, call me weird, just something I've always done...

Here's the crown attached.  Whenever possible, I use a nailer that shoots a headless pin (along with glue of course).  They're almost undetectable.

Now it's time to attach the dentil trim.  I start on one end, and see how it works out at the opposite end. The ultimate objective would be to have two matching blocks on both ends!  Fortunately, I've had enough insight to do a proper layout to begin with, and it works out great!


Time for sanding and painting!